I curse. A lot. But I’ve realized several things about this as I’ve gotten older.
- It really isn’t very lady like, no matter how you feel about feminism or gender roles, uncouth is uncouth.
- It’s an irresponsible choice to swear (especially excessively) once you have children.
- It’s even more irresponsible once those children learn to talk.
- It doesn’t help you communicate anything more clearly except that you’re crude.
- It is very rarely appropriate, let alone truly needed.
So lately I’ve not only been attempting to actually stem the flow of profanity as a whole, but to also substitute profanity for other exclamatory phrases that are much less offensive. For instance, I might say “You scared the ever-lovin’ muffin stuffin’ out of me!” instead of the few choice words I’m sure anyone could come up with in about a heartbeat.
Do you have any substitutions for swear words that you use?